(Back to top)
More information about a meeting:
The groups of attendees per meeting are relatively small allowing for interactive discussion. We get mutual support as well as the use of science based methods and tools. The focus of a meeting is on learning more about this problem and how to; increase your motivation to abstain, handle urges without acting on them, develop new ways of coping with problems, and create a healthy, positive lifestyle. In other words to change to a better way of living life. The focus is on solutions. You do not need to contact the facilitator or register prior to attending; you are welcome to just show up.
There are three simple ground rules:
- Confidentiality—who is at a meeting and what is said is held confidential. In other words, what you hear and who you see in the room stays in the room.
- When you speak about yourself, try to be open and honest.
- When you comment or give feedback to others, try to be supportive and helpful. Be kind and compassionate. Avoid giving advice and instead share your story or information which helped you.
SMART Recovery (SR) doesn't suggest a lifetime commitment to meetings. People who are satisfied with the positive changes that they have made, and who can handle life's problems rationally, are encouraged to pursue their other goals, and to enjoy the real satisfaction that life offers. Of course SR is always here should you need extra support at any time.
(Back to top)
SMART Recovery Online (worldwide website)
Please visit smartrecovery.com for further information and recovery resources. What follows is a brief introduction to some of those resources.
There are also online meetings available here: Online Meetings. Follow the instructions on that page to register. Once you receive confirmation of registration you can attend an online meeting.
SMART Recovery Online Forum:
For message boards, etc., you can visit the SMART Recovery Online Forum. There you can register for SMART Online and then post when you receive confirmation. While waiting you can read what is currently posted.
Also, there is a 24/7 chatroom available where you can go to discuss your problem at any time. To enter on a computer:
1. On the Forum page click the SMART CHAT & ONLINE MEETINGS menu.
2. Click Enter Chat Meeting Rooms Directly.
3. When the chat program and page open click SMART Recovery 24/7 Chat. to enter the room.